Departure Bay area is a beautiful mature ocean side neighbourhood, where two hills meet above the bay and the beach. Here you can enjoy watching BC Ferries, Float Planes taking off and land, and water sports. Nanaimo’s Bathtub Races : the Nanaimo to Nanaimo "Great" INTERNATIONAL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BATHTUB RACE & four day Nanaimo Marine Festival has evolved, where once a select band of tubbers were the highlight, they now share the spotlight with many other land and water events which are interesting and often spectacular to watch.
There are funky old homes down by the beach, modest split-levels, condos, luxury homes perched on the rocky bluffs, and homes that back onto Nanaimo Golf and Country Club , a majestic course that is located on the ridge above Departure Bay, where tall evergreens, willow and maple trees frame picture perfect views of the Strait of Georgia and the Gulf Islands. Flower gardens on almost every hole add colour, and in the distance the mainland’s Coast Mountains serve as a backdrop to this stunning scene.
- Cilaire Elementary - 25 Cilaire Drive, Nanaimo V9S 3C9 - 250 758-7941; fax: 250 751-8840, Principal Mike Ireland, Secretary Darlene Ludvigson; Kindergarten to Grade 7: 205 students
- Departure Bay Elementary - 3004 Departure Bay Rd., Nanaimo V9T 1B4 - 250 758-6541; fax: 250 751-1617, Principal Lisa Frey, Secretary Lisa DeOliveira; Kindergarten to Grade 7: 203 students
- Learn@Home K-7 - 3004 Departure Bay Road, Nanaimo V9T 1B4 - 250 751-2197; toll free 1-866-740-2037; fax: 250 758-3915, Principal Scott Saywell, Coordinator Darrell Letourneau, Secretary Sharon Binng
- Rock City Elementary - 3741 Departure Bay Rd., Nanaimo V9T 1C5 - 250 758-2434; fax: 250 758-4831, Principal Lillian Carefoot, Secretary Debbie Babcock; Kindergarten to Grade 7: 315 students
- Wellington Secondary - 3135 Mexicana Rd., Nanaimo V9T 2W8 - 250 758-9191; fax: 250 758-3352, Principal Steve Thompson, Vice-Principals Lisa Peace and Carol Girard, Secretary Judy Willett; Grades 8 to 12: 1032 students
- Ecole Quarterway Elementary School - 1632 Bowen Rd., Nanaimo V9S 1G6 - 250 754-6845; fax: 250 754-6871, Principal Peter Hewitt, Vice-Principal Margaret Yung, Secretary Barb Hickson; Kindergarten to Grade 7 (Dual track - English and French Immersion): 386 students
- The Conseil scolaire francophone has 38 schools across the province. (250) 714-0761 1951 Estevan Rd, Nanaimo, BC